By February 1 of each year, every school in California is required by state law to publish a School Accountability Report Card (SARC). Below are some excerpts from a report for Herbert Hoover Elementary for 2018-2019 school year, published during 2019-2020 school year.
¶ School Description and Mission Statement
We expect staff and parent commitment to and support of Hoover’s Guiding Principles:
- We provide a collaborative, teacher-facilitated, student-centered instructional program, based on Common Core,
state and district-mandated standards. We emphasize the importance of the social and emotional growth of each
child. We emphasize the importance of uninterrupted instructional time which enables students to build a solid
foundation for academic success while providing regular opportunities for students to increase the depth of their
learning and the complexity of their thinking.
- We promote curiosity, questioning, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- We maintain high expectations and utilize proven best practices in order to maximize each student's potential and
facilitate the achievement of academic excellence.
- We emphasize individual accountability as a key ingredient of a student's academic achievement.
- We promote the development of autonomous learners: students who have good communication skills and study
habits, are organized, and work independently.
- We provide a safe, welcoming environment with clear academic and behavioral expectations coupled with
- We adhere to a school-wide language based on making safe, respectful, responsible choices.
- We are a Project Cornerstone school and have fully implemented the ABC Reading Program.
- We have adopted the Responsive Classroom approach to learning on a school-wide basis and continue to utilize
conflict resolution strategies.
- We have yoga in every classroom with social skills embedded in each lesson (empathy, mindfulness, problem
solving, stamina, growth mindset, etc.)
- We utilize the Social Thinking curriculum by Michelle Garcia-Winner in primary grades.
- We provide resilience-building support through the Acknowledge Alliance program, Project Resilience.
- We expect every staff member to be responsible for the safety and learning of every child in the school.
- We expect parental involvement in each child’s personal and academic growth.
- We expect cooperation, communication, and respect among all members of our community
||Number of Students
Percentage of students meeting or exceeding the state standard from the school, the district and the entire state:
|English Language Arts / Literacy